Sunday, December 16, 2012
|Let's Get Awesome!|
I am not trying to lose a specific amount of weight and I am not training for a particular race. I just want to exercise more. I have been reading about Blue Zones and it strikes me that the one place I fall down is not walking everywhere. I am not in a position to relocate my life all to one walkable work/life location right now, so I want to at least get up reasonably and walk or run or bike or do some yoga or whatever.
Enter my new idea: Tear Off Get Awesome Sheets.
|Me and my son crossing the finish line at a 5k|
I really can exercise! Seriously!
The Get Awesome Gift Pact
- Find a friend and set a budget
- Buy each other a specific amount of presents (we are doing 6) during the post-Christmas holiday sales
- Wrap the gifts super tight so that your friend cannot tell what you got her and exchange gifts
- Print out your tear off sheets linked to this post, or make your own!
- Pages has a template for flyers. I assume MS Word does as well.
- Cut the bottom little flaps so that you have 10 easy-to-tear-off strips of paper and post it somewhere you will see it.
- I'm putting this on my fridge or maybe my calendar.
- Every time you exercise or do whatever life affirming activity you are doing, tear off a strip. When you get to 5, open a present!
My friend is not sure if she wants to exercise or do something else, so I am including two templates. One for my exercising. Each unit is either 30 minutes running, 45 minutes biking, or an hour of yoga.
The other is for life affirming activities. For some people, that might be "getting out to coffee without my kids" or "going on a date with my husband" or "taking my car to the car wash because I love it" or "spending an hour crocheting that blanket I've been working on". Whatever works for you.
I think this is fab for a few reasons:
- There's no time limit or constraints.
- If you wanted to run on Thursday but Thursday ended up sucking, take a break. Run whenever you have some time that weekend. Your reward is waiting for you.
- After Christmas sales are awesome and full of cute little things to gift each other.
- You are helping a friend.
- It's motivating and fun and mysterious.
- What is in that little cylindrical one, anyway? Man, I have to know! I'm going to run four days this week.
If gifts are not your thing or you and your friend are strapped for cash, you can give your friend cards with permission to do things for herself. I know it sounds silly, but being able to say "hey, Connie told me I got to have a 20 minute bubble bath today" to your partner or kids totally works. I authorize you one trip to the library and get a new book. Permission to paint your toenails hot pink with black polka dots. Whatever you think she'd like.
So that's my crazy idea. Thanks to Pages for having an easy to edit flyer template and thanks to Vintage Printables for having free clip art I used for the flyers linked here.